Dragon coaster

In an attempt to not have two festivals in the city at the same time, the Brunswick Summer Celebration Committee has elected to move next year’s festival up a week to June 10-14.

BRUNSWICK – The Brunswick Summer Celebration committee announced this week that it has decided to move the festival dates next year in an attempt not to coincide with the annual St. Ambrose Summer Festival.

Committee Member Tina Galloway told council as well as the community Sept. 9 that next year’s festival will take place June 10-14, 2020.

Though she didn’t mention the St. Ambrose festival by name, Galloway told those in attendance that the committee is “trying to put some distance between ourselves and the other festival in the city.”

Along with a change in dates, Galloway said the committee has other changes in store for the 2020 festival.

“We will be going back to our roots for our 40th anniversary,” Galloway said during the meeting, adding that part of the next year’s event lineup will include the car show that had been eliminated from the 2019 festival. “We are also looking for other ideas.”

Galloway also noted the festival will now be operating under new management, as Kevin Schemerich former president of the Brunswick Summer Celebration Committee stepped down after this year’s festival. Additionally, she said, the committee is seeking new volunteers to help make improve the festival.

Brunswick Summer Celebration committee member and at-large City Councilman Brian Ousley asked residents to support the 40th anniversary festival for its historic significance.

Additionally, he noted, the festival’s location on the campus of Brunswick High School could be compromised in the near future should the school district elect to pursue the construction of a new high school as school board members indicated earlier this year.

Should the layout change, Ousley said, the grounds of the high school may no longer be spacious enough to accommodate the Brunswick Summer Celebration Festival.

Though Brunswick City Schools officials have mentioned the district’s idea of building a new high school using funds available from the state, those plans remain in the discussion phase.

Former Superintendent Michael Mayell said earlier this year that such a project would not even be considered before the completion of the current middle school project.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.