NORTON – Explosions woke up the neighbors of a Hametown Road property a little before 1 a.m. Jan. 28 as a detached garage burned.

According to Fire Chief Mike Schultz, the garage had propane tanks and welding equipment, which would certainly account for the explosions the neighbors heard. No one, however, was injured either in the explosions or the subsequent inferno.

Schultz’s department got the call around 12:51 a.m. and were on scene eight minutes later but the garage at that point was fully involved.

“The house is very close to the garage,” Schultz said. “We knew we couldn’t save the garage so we concentrated our efforts on protecting the house.”

Schultz said the siding melted and some windows on that side cracked but other than that, the house was saved. The garage, he said, was a total loss.

Units from Barberton and Copley helped Norton with the fire. As of this report, Schultz didn’t know a cause and had not completed a damage estimate.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.